Valentine's Day Brunch- Tilapia Cakes over a Fried Egg topped withSautéed Spinach and Hollandaise Sauce


To celebrate Valentine's Day yesterday, I wanted to make a special brunch for my husband. We had 3:00 reservations for a late lunch / early dinner. Brunch was perfect to tide us over. 

I already had the fish cake (find the recipe here) left over from dinner a few nights ago. I had an idea to dress them up for a special brunch by putting them on a fried egg with sautéed spinach and Hollandaise sauce. 

To reheat them, I put them in a cool oven, heated the oven to 350, and when it reached the temperature, I turned the oven back off and let them sit until I was ready for them. 

Now, I love Hollandaise sauce, and it's really quite simple to make homemade.  Here are those directions:

Ingredients 
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
8 tbsp (1 stick) butter
Salt to taste (only if you are using unsalted butter)

Directions
Melt the stick of butter over low heat. You do not want the butter to boil. 



While the butter is melting combine the egg yolks and lemon juice in a blender.  Blend on high for about three minutes. 



Turn the blender to low and slowly add the butter. Once the butter is added, blend for about thirty more seconds.  



To fry the egg, heat a half tbsp butter in the skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, make sure the entire bottom of the skillet is coated in a thin layer of butter. Crack the egg in a separate bowl to make sure no shells get in it. Pour the egg slowly into the skillet. I seasoned mine with sea salt and dill. Allow the egg to fry for about three minutes until the edges are curled and starting to brown and the white is no longer runny. Carefully flip the egg and fry for 20 more seconds for a runny yolk or 35 seconds for a done yolk. 

To sautée the spinach, I added a few leaves into the skillet where the egg had been cooking and cooked it until it wilted. 

To plate, I placed the fried egg, put the fish cakes on that followed by the spinach, and finally the Hollandaise sauce. 



It's a fancy looking dish that doesn't require that much work provided you have leftover fish cakes. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day! I sure did :)





Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party. Look for the new party up tonight.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts