Monday, May 25, 2015

Low Carb Jalapeno Popper Bombs


One of my very favorite snack foods is jalapeno poppers.  Before I went low carb, there was a certain brand of popper at Walmart that I'd buy all the time.  They were made with cream cheese and diced jalapenos in a crunchy breading. I called them "bombs" since they were more like a bite than an actual popper.  Oh, they were delicious.  But with my new eating habits, I try not to eat things like that anymore.  But that doesn't mean I can't make my own!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I spent all day today working on that English project.  It was certainly a doozy.  I started around 8:30 this morning, blinked, and suddenly four hours had gone by! No wonder I was hungry!

I needed a good break.  I needed a good LUNCH.  Luckily, I had just the ingredients I needed to try my own jalapeno popper "bombs."

I sliced and removed the seeds from three decently sized jalapenos.  I think I may add a fourth one next time; I like it hot! I diced them into small pieces and poured them in a large bowl.  I added around 6 oz of cream cheese and stirred it all together.  Then I added a sprinkling of shredded parmesan to help the mixture take on a thicker texture.

I scooped out a small amount of the mixture and rolled it into a ball.  I was able to make 10 out of my ingredients. I placed the balls onto a baking sheet and put the whole thing in the fridge to really set.  Cold foods fry better, in my opinion.

Once the balls were set, I heated my oil over medium-high heat.  I prepared the ingredients for my "breading." In one bowl, I cracked and scrambled an egg.  In a second bowl, I poured crushed pork rinds: my go-to ingredient for when I want a really crispy coating. I coated each ball in the pork rinds, then rolled them in the egg, and then added a second coat of pork rinds, making sure that not one area of the cream cheese was left exposed.  When I began to fry to balls, I was really glad that they stayed together.  I had envisioned globs of cream cheese oozing out of all sides, melting into a giant mess.  They took only about a minute to cook, getting nice and golden brown on all sides.  I drained the excess oil on a paper towel and let them cool for a minute.

Let me tell you, for as much as I loved my old favorites, there's a new favorite in town!

The outside was so crunchy, and the inside was creamy perfection. 







What is a snack food you can't live without? Share in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Trying these tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much oil did you use for these or do you remember? I have all of the ingredients here and am dying to try them but I've never deep fried anything before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough to submerge them about half way, I think. I rotated them while cooking, so they still ended up even. You could do enough to completely submerge them if you'd rather.

      Delete
  3. I've made these 3 or 4 times since I found this recipe. They are soooooo good. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I just LOVE poppers... Is there any "breading" other than pork rinds that I can use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many pork rinds did you use? An entire bag? I don't want to crush them all if I don't need to. Thanks, I can't wait to make these, they look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe half a bag? Start there and you can always crush more if you need to :)

    ReplyDelete