Author Bio: This is a guest post by Elizabeth L. on behalf of ReadySetEat. Visit www.readyseteat.com to find pasta salad recipes and some dinner ideas, too.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy tacos! Try this twist on the traditional taco by having it with quinoa instead of a tortilla. This Beef Taco Quinoa Bowl will have all the flavor of a regular taco but will be much less messy. This could even be a fun dish at a family picnic. This is definitely an easy recipe for dinner! It only takes a total of twenty-five minutes to make.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 pound ground round beef (85% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 can (14.5 oz. each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pkg. (1.25 oz. each) taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded lettuce and sour cream, optional
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, adding the garlic salt.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until beef is crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally; drain. Stir in undrained tomatoes, seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide quinoa evenly between 4 bowls. Spoon meat mixture evenly over quinoa. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Top with lettuce and sour cream, if desired.
Quinoa is typically found in the rice and pasta section of supermarkets. Rinse well before cooking to remove the natural bitter coating, if it is not pre-washed.