"Zinguine" Florentine with Shrimp


A few weeks ago, we had some friends over for dinner.  She brought her Spiralizer, and we made some delicious "zoodles" (zucchini noodles).  I've been considering buying one of my own, but wasn't sure about the investment.

Last weekend, I happened upon a Veggetti.  It does basically the same thing as a Spiralizer, but for a fraction of the cost.  I also found this particular Veggetti at Ross, so it was even cheaper than normal. Only $10! I snatched that thing up and dropped it in the cart!



It was super easy to use.  I was worried that it would be hard to twist the zucchini through the blade, but it glided right on through.

Now all I had to do was come up with a sauce!

I came up with this recipe from an Instagram post combined with a recipe from an old 1980s cook book one of my students brought to school for me to look at.  She's such an enabler!




I combined the ideas into my very own low carb version: "Zinguine" Florentine with Shrimp!

Ingredients (per serving)
1 small zucchini
1/4 lb shrimp, tails removed and deveined
1 cup spinach
3-4 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c almond milk
1/2 c grated parmesan
2 tbs butter
Seasonings to taste (I used pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutmeg, black pepper, and paprika)

Directions
Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook until they are no longer translucent.  Add spinach and mushrooms.  Sautee until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are browned.  Add almond milk, nutmeg, paprika, and black pepper.  Bring to a boil and add the parmesan.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Sauce will thicken as it simmers and even more as it stands.

To make the "zinguine," twist the entire zucchini into the Veggetti, catching the strands in a bowl.  Microwave the zucchini strands for one minute.  You do not need to add any water to the bowl; the zucchini has enough stored in it to steam it just fine!

Top the zinguine with the shrimp and sauce mixture.  Garnish with Italian seasoning or extra parmesan if desired.

I am looking forward to seeing what else I can come up with using the Veggetti.  If you've been considering getting one, or even if you've never heard of it before, I highly recommend it!


Comments

Popular Posts