My "Little Project"
When my husband and I first found out we were going to be parents, I knew right away that this nursery was going to be very "DIY." I found this dresser at a thrift store. It is the exactly right size for the space that we have. I was not concerned about the horrible navy blue color, the shiny navy paint on the top, the scratches, or the 4 (yes, 4!) different styles of handles. I was going to re-do it. We bought the dresser before we painted, and we painted before we found out what we were having, so I probably got it around week 14-16 of the pregnancy.
|See what I mean about the shiny top? It's like a mirror.|
|4 different kinds of knobs/handles.|
Fast forward to week 33. The dresser was still in all its Navy-blue, gold-knobbed glory. The time had come. Something must be done about this dresser. My husband's friend came over with his sander and paint sprayer. They sanded it down and got it painted. (I wanted it to be a cherry brown color to match her crib.) It stayed at that level of "complete" for a couple more weeks.
I took the top drawers out, because basically they are the ugliest things in the world, and who really needs drawers with four knobs?? The plan was to put baskets in the top to use to hold diapers and things I need quick and easy access to. There was no bottom underneath the drawers. Just a hole leading to the drawers underneath. I went to Lowe's and the nicest man helped me find a cheap piece of pressboard to make a shelf. I had my measurements and he cut it down to size for me. I took it home and painted it. Then using wood glue and clamps, my hubby and I attached the piece to the dresser. So now I had a dresser with a self for baskets, with no baskets and no handles. But it was getting closer and closer to being finished!
In week 35, I went to Michael's, but couldn't find any baskets I liked. They did have some really pretty photo organizing boxes that were a great size for the space, so I picked up four of them.
|I didn't get this print, but the boxes are this size/shape.|
Finally, in week 36, I went back to Lowe's and picked out some handles. My options were quite limited because I needed 2.5" and most were 3". I do really like the ones we got. No chance of little fingers getting stuck or pinched. Once they were on the dresser and everything was organized, my "little project" was finally finished... 20 weeks after it started =)