Thursday, December 29, 2011

Latest Obsession

With all the t-shirt scarves that have been going around on Pinterest, some of the ladies I work with and I decided to hop on the bandwagon and make our own contribution.  We made lots of the little beauties to sell to earn classroom funds for the special education classrooms we work in.  We even had the kids help by stretching out the pieces and sorting them by color.  They had a blast and so did we.  We did fairly well earning enough to take the kids on a fieldtrip sometime this coming semester.  Here is a sneak peek of some of the pieces we did.

A scarf made from an orange t shirt with navy blue t shirt flowers

A Christmas Scarf from red and lime green t shirts with a white felt flower

A blue felt flower with a brown t shirt spiral center.  This can either be worn as a brooch, on a scarf, or as a hair clip!

A green t shirt sleeve as a headband with a purple felt flower with a green spiral center

We made a lot more than just these four, but this gives an idea of what we can do.  Any scarf or flower can be done in any color.  Hope yall like them as much as we do!

Easy DIY Wall Art

After making my wreath and picture frame, everyone I know started saving their empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls for me.  I have a huge bag filled with them!  I made another picture frame for my mother-in-law for Christmas, and she loved it.  It's so nice to be able to create wonderful gifts for a fraction of what it would cost to purchase them.  I do have a lot of rolls left over, so this time I wanted to try something new.  I hot glued four (4) wooden dowels together into a square.  Do this carefully  or you may end up gluing it to your work table like I did!  I cut three empty paper rolls into half inch (appx) pieces.  I made four flower shapes first and glued them diagonally together across the frame.  Next I attatched the pieces to the two empty corners.  I put three pieces on each side connecting them to the wooden dowels.  To fill in a little more of the empty space, I attatched the three pieces into the corners.  I really like the result, and it didn't take much time at all.  I haven't painted it yet, though.  Still deciding on a color!